Thursday, July 13, 2006

Beirut

I haven't posted anything of substance on the events in Lebanon and northern Israel, because I've been e-mailing and messaging and discussing for the last 36 hours. I'm tired and there's not much to say from Beirut; the streets in Hamra are empty except for the odd Filipino maid walking a dog, the sukleen workers and a few stray servis drivers. The supermarket shelves were cleared out; people were stocking up on non-perishable goods; there was a long line of cars waiting to get gas. Apparently there is a six hour wait at the Syrian border. People are paying up to $450 to leave the country by taxi. Soon we might have no electricity. Over 50 Lebanese dead today, and the Beirutis are worried about their lost revenues from Saudi sex tourism.

To stay abrest of detailed developments read the updates on lebanesebloggers.blogspot.com.

Update 1: Israeli planes flying overhead. They bombed Dahiyeh. I could only see anti-aircraft fire, and here what sounded like thunder. Here they are again. The electricity flickered for a second. I smell burning plastic. Dogs are barking like crazy. It seems they are returning every 20 minutes or so to bomb. More like every five minutes now.

I would like to use this opportunity to invite anyone reading this blog to post questions in the comments section. I received a lot of questions via e-mail and messages. Please re-post or post new ones, if I didn't answer them.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I just want to know if they take *care* not to bomb power stations
and water essentials and so forth
and anything that might be war
crimes against civilian populations.
CNN says leaflets warns civies to
stay away from Hezbollah centers
whatever the hell that means, are
they everywhere or not (i.e. would
the very suggestion put civilan areas
up for bombardment is my point)