Sunday, July 16, 2006

Hezbollah fired at least 20 rockets at Haifa this morning, killing ten people and wounding forty. President Emile Lahoud accused Israel of using banned phosphorous incendiary bombs on the southern Lebanese villages, al-Habariyye and Qlayle. Israel leveled the Beirut suburb of Dahiyeh last night. At least 10 civilians have been killed in the south in the last few hours. A friend whose grandfather lives in a village in the south says his village is running out of food and water. "They are telling them by plane to leave, while they shoot at everything that moves." I also suspect they might bomb the south to smithereens and then invade (the bombing I don't suspect, it's happening as I write.) I am dying to write a substantial post about how I feel towards Hezbollah, the homeless people squatting in my apartment building, the various scenarios for a regional war and/or a civil war. Hopefully, I'll get around to it before it actually happens, but I am busy writing for a new newspaper. More on that when we go online.
A dear friend reminded me thatI said something stupid and sentimental a few months ago: that I wouldn't leave Beirut until it broke my heart. While I'm no longer anticipating heart break (my love affair with this city ended a long time ago), I am disgusted and by what's happening here. And sad. But I'll feel even more hopeless if I leave. So I'll stay. For now.

No comments: