Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Hezbollah kidnaps two Israeli soldiers

A quick post before I go to the sit-in in downtown Beirut to protest the Israeli invasion and bombing of Gaza. Hezbollah kidnapped two Israeli soldiers this morning. I can not confirm this but CNN is reporting that two rockets were fired into northern Israel wounding four people. Israeli forces are bombing the south of Lebanon, bridges, power outlets, etc. IDF ground troops crossed into Lebanon to search for the soldiers. Celebratory gunfire and firecrackers all around here in Beirut.

Haaretz reports:
IDF ground forces crossed into Lebanon early afternoon to search for the two kidnapped soldiers, Army Radio reported.

The radio said large numbers of troops, as well as aircraft, were taking part in searches on the Lebanese side of the border.

IDF responded to the attacks from Lebanon with heavy artillery and tank fire. Al-Manar television reported that IDF artillery was pounding the fringes of the villages of Aita el-Shaab, Ramieh and Yaroun in the hills east of the coastal border port of Naqoura. Israel Air Force struck roads, bridges and Hezbollah guerrilla positions in southern Lebanon, Lebanese security officials said. The air raids were apparently intended to block any escape route for the guerrillas who may be taking the captured IDF soldiers to areas further removed from the border in order to prevent an Israeli rescue mission.

Lebanese security sources said two Lebanese civilians were killed and a Lebanese soldier was wounded in an IAF air raid on a bridge in south Lebanon on Wednesday. The Lebanese casualties occurred in the raid on the coastal Qasmiyeh bridge.
This from Israeli news:
IDF Chief of Staff Dan Halutz stated a few minutes ago that "the period of quiet" has ended for Hizbullah terrorists in Lebanon. Military sources said that the Israeli retaliation to the Hizbullah attack and apparent kidnapping of IDF soldiers will be extremely strong.

The massive Kayatusha and mortar shell attacks Wednesday morning injured at least four people, and one of them was reported in serious condition. They were ferried by helicopter to the Rambam Hospital in Haifa and to the hospital in Nahariya.

No comments: